Sunday, January 9, 2011

Persepolis Information

For my blog this week, I decided to do a little more research behind the book that we just started, Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi. I learned that Persepolis was actually the ancient capital of the Persian Empire. The city itself has tons of history with many great palaces, tombs, and architectural structures. The oldest found ruins of the city date back to 515 BC, and the city is known to have fallen during the reign of Alexander the Great. As for the book, it has been translated into many different languages, and the various editions/stories are the reasons for the two volumes -- the first one is about childhood and the second about a return. There was also a film adaptation created in 2007 of the book which received 2 Oscar nominations. One thing that I am also interested in but couldn't find were why the sections have such odd names. I didn't look into too much detail for that, because I was hoping that that information would be found in the book. From my research I have found the book to be influential to people's views all throughout the world making me more inclined to reading it.

2 comments:

  1. This book has been very interesting so far. I agree that the sections have such odd names. I think this adds a cool element to the book. A lot of times, the title of a section gets mentioned in one panel. This is something that you wouldn't get in a normal novel. I definitely can see people being influenced by this book because it presents a revolution in such naive terms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah, nice idea! I didn't really know any of these things before, and now I wish I had gotten some background knowledge beforehand. The Middle East is such a fascinating and important region and I think that too many people in America are apathetic about just what's going on there.

    As for the odd names, I always name my pieces strangely, and I just think that it's obscure parts of the story. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete