Sunday, December 5, 2010

Our Generation

After our PowerPoint project in class, where we had to find pictures that define women in the Victorian and modern eras, I though about what thing really define our generation. On the Internet, I found that our high school student base is mostly a part of Generation Z (those usually born between 1990 and the early 2000's), and our parents are mostly "Baby Boomers," or they are included in Generation X. Included under Generation Z are subtopics that help define our generation such as Generations I,  of Internet, of Dreamers, or of Wisdom. Some of the main things that I found to define our generation were obviously the large network of data and technology that connects everyone on the planet such as the Internet or text messaging. From this, we are also called the silent generation, for our 'lack of verbal communication skills.' One thing that I found that was neat was about how Generation Z was thought of as emphasizing the individual more so than any other generation near our time, and that our parents were more like advisers than enforcers like days  past. I did have some trouble finding things like clothing styles, etc that would be distinct for our generation, and besides for the 'Pants on the Ground' thing, does anyone have any ideas? There have also been many negative outlooks on our generations lack of group and verbal skills, rise of bullying, fast food (some say we might be the first generation to have a shorter lifespan that our parents), as well as the rise of  mental illnesses, any thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. "From this, we are also called the silent generation, for our 'lack of verbal communication skills.'" It really sucks that this quote is true, but it really is sad. It's almost embarassing that we're defined with a rise of bullying and fast food, but when I try to think of something good that represents our generation I really can't think of anything. I think that's what's really sad... We've gotta step that up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with both of you. Rachel i agree with you 100 present in the fact that it is so sad that our generation is know for fast food and Bullying. This really makes me sad that this is the only thing we are know for. I think we at McFarland should do something to change that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with all three of you, the fast food and bullying thing are a little shocking to me but at the same time its true coming from someone who works at McDonalds. Although new technology is great it does take away from the interaction between people everyday so hopefully people realize that and start to change.

    ReplyDelete